Thursday, April 17, 2008

What's in a name?

Early in my pregnancy we decided to wait until the 2nd trimester to discuss names. That seemed like an eternity. When we finally got there we threw out suggestions here and there, but then decided to wait until we knew if we were having a boy or a girl. The funny thing is, before we knew she was a girl all we could come up with were girl names. Every time we tried to talk about boy names the conversation would eventually shift to girl's names...and then we'd wonder how that had happened. We must have knew somehow.

Pretty soon after we knew we were having a girl, we came up with her middle name. It was actually on a road trip to Seattle when I was about 19 weeks along. We knew we wanted to have family names incorporated somewhere...but not necessarily her first name. Ann-Marie is a combination of our Mom's middle names. I know it may always throw some people off in that Ann does not have an "e" on the end of it and we added a hyphen in there. But we both thought it sounded pretty and fit well with our last name.

Our biggest obstacle on the first name, and every couple must encounter this, was that every time one of us suggested a name, the other one would shoot it down. It either reminded the person of someone they did not like...or they just didn't like the name in general. Morgan's name came about randomly. We were at a doctor's appointment. I remember sitting on the exam table, waiting for the nurse practitioner to come in...we were actually talking about boy names. David suggested Morgan. I thought about it for a few seconds and then said that I liked it better as a girl's name. David considered this and said that he thought he might like that too. This was the first time we agreed on a name we both liked! And see...as I mentioned, we always managed to transition a conversation on boy names to girl names!

Ultimately, we came up with a few names that we both liked, but Morgan always seemed to be at the top of the list. We decided to wait until we saw her to make our final decision. Right after she was born David was with her when the nurses were cleaning her up and while I was getting cleaned up myself. I had seen her briefly right away, but she was so covered in "ick" that I really didn't get a good look. David kept telling me how "amazing" she was! I asked him, "Is she our Morgan?" And he said "Yes." As soon as I was able to hold her, I agreed that she was indeed our Morgan. Our sweet little Morgan girl. Her name fits her just right.

No comments: