Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Go Bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

So, we are continuing the journey of solid foods.

The biggest challenge I have when feeding Morgan is that she tries to lick or suck the food off the spoon instead of opening her mouth and closing her lips around it. Grrr...I figure this will come with practice, but for now eating is very slow because I can't put much on the spoon at a time. We were out to dinner with her little friend Elijah (and his parents) last night and he was just gobbling up his food! Though he's only three weeks older than Morgan, his parents started him on solid foods at around 4 months. He's had a lot more practice than she has.

Here's what we have tried recently:

*Avocados - She seems to be OK with it...but the "chunks" tend to come back out, even tiny ones. I think I need to try to blend them instead of just mash them.

* Bananas - Fairly successful. The first time I made them I added some water and they ended up too watery. I figured out all I needed to do was pop them in the blender and go. She seemed to like these too...but any chunks came right back out!

* Applesauce - We tried a baby food version of this. I haven't been brave enough yet to actually stew and puree fruit, maybe this weekend? She eats the applesauce pretty well, but we've ended up with two days of diaper "blow-outs" as a result. Daddy and daycare have dealt with the brunt of these. They are such troopers!

Within the next few weeks we are looking at trying sweet peas, peaches, pears and oatmeal. his should finish off her list of "Stage 1" foods. Yum! I've had her daycare start feeding her one "meal" in the morning of the foods she's already tried. Her teacher has been begging me to let her do this for a week or two, but I wasn't sure Morgan was ready. Apparently she's been sucking down her bottles quickly and acting like she's still hungry. I finally gave in yesterday. This should help her get more "eating practice" and fill up her growing tummy better.

So far this has been more difficult than I thought it would be. Making the food is not the problem, but the actual feeding part challenges my patience at times. I guess I thought she'd be more excited about it, but it is all a process of learning for her. I keep repeating that saying I've heard "before age one, food is just for fun." She will get all the nutrition she needs and will be OK if she doesn't progress quickly to more textured or table foods. We have lots of time.

No comments: