Friday, September 12, 2008

Stronger

Recently I've made a big effort to get back on the exercise bandwagon. Before I got pregnant (the first time), I was really into my yoga and cycling classes at our gym. I tend to be a wimp if I work out on my own, so classes are key to keep myself challenged.

It's been a looong time since I've been to any of these classes. I worked out quite a bit early on with the first pregnancy until the bleeding worsened (sorry, tmi...for me, the miscarriage involved a slow increase of bleeding, not just starting to bleed one day). The second time around I was terrified to over-exert myself during pregnancy, so walking was really my only exercise.

In the last few weeks I've taken both the yoga and cycling classes again and they've been great! I was convinced that I was going to be really weak in the yoga classes since it had been so long. I shocked myself by being able to do most of the poses. I was not as strong as before, but stronger than I expected. I was especially surprised by my arm strength. Then it dawned on me...a 22 pound baby's got built-in strength training at home every day. Thanks honey! There's a definite benefit to having a baby on the high end of the the weight scale!

I'm making an effort to get to the gym 3 times a week. I'd love to say I'll go more, but with working around naps and David's traveling, I think that's a good goal. Thankfully Morgan does well in childcare situations, so I don't (yet) have to deal with any meltdowns there. Working out makes me feel good and thus helps me be a better Mommy.

No comments: