Monday, June 23, 2008

Daddy's Girl


Leading up to my first Father's Day, Meg kept asking me what I wanted to do. I had trouble coming up with good ideas, and spent most of the day just hanging out with my two girls. The manliest thing I did was cooking up my famous Rib-Eye steak recipe for dinner. (A guy cooking - pretty manly!)

As I look back, the day really isn't about me. I'm a dad because of this amazing blessing that's come in to my life. The feeling of the day was one of gratitude rather than any sense of appreciation for my efforts. My hope is that all dads out there take the time to do the day-to-day duties: diaper changes, feedings, bathing and soothing a fussy baby. I would feel like I was missing out on a big part of the experience without these things. As I said in a previous post, one of my favorite memories is the time she threw up all over me.

I recently attended the funeral of my best friend's father. What I was struck by was how each of the kids recounted specific instances of how their dad influenced their lives. It had very little to do with big, significant events and revolved mostly around him being involved by always being there. For the first time, the Hagge's (my friend’s family) spent this very same Father's Day without dad. I can only hope that I measure up to him and my own father some day.

I thank God for this amazing opportunity to experience this adventure with Morgan and Meg, and ask Him to receive Big Walt into his loving arms.

No comments: