Monday, January 26, 2009

The "clingies" have arrived

We think we're finally into an official phase of separation anxiety. Morgan used to be such a champ in childcare situations. She'd go and play and it didn't seem to bother her to be away from us. Not anymore. My first experience was that Morgan didn't do so well last week at the gym childcare. I was about 3/4 through my workout when one of the caregivers came to get me. I chalked it up to the fact that we had not been there much in the last few months and she'd need time to adjust.

Sunday at church we dropped Morgan off in the nursery and were happy when we didn't get paged throughout the service. When it was over we headed over to pick her up. As soon as we got there we looked over the counter and saw our little one "escaping" the room on her hands and knees (while another baby was being carried out the door) with tears running down her face. Poor thing! It was pretty funny to see all the babies being handed over to the moms and dads and our Morgan was fighting her own way out of the room to find us.

This morning I decided to try the gym again. I had signed up for a special six-week long class that I was really looking forward to. We got there a little early. There were TONS of kids there! I brought her in the playroom and she seemed excited when she saw all the toys. I sat her down and she immediately started playing. I gave her a few kisses and said goodbye. She pretty much ignored me, so I thought she might be OK. Nope. About 30 minutes into the class the caregiver showed up to get me...again Luckily there weren't too many people in my class and the instructor said Morgan could come back with me. She occupied herself with some exercise balls and weights, but it was hard to concentrate on the class because I was keeping track of her.

And to top it off, tonight I spent some time downstairs making dinner while David and Morgan played upstairs. I came upstairs briefly to give David his dinner (a treat, we don't usually eat upstairs) and headed back down to get mine and Morgan completely melted down. When I got back upstairs I had to spend some time calming her down before I could eat my dinner.

Everything's a phase, they say. We'll see how long this one lasts. I've got my women's group at church tomorrow, so we'll see how she does there.

No comments: