Friday, August 8, 2008

We go together like Peas and Carrots

As we have ventured into the realm of solid food, I've continued to make most of Morgan's food over the past few months. Today I tackled carrots for the first time. In the baggies you can see other "fruits" of my labor, such as butternut squash, peas, sweet potatoes (yams) and peaches. There are only two fruits I have purchased: applesauce (just because you can get great organic stuff in a bigger jar) and pears. I haven't looked extensively, but I don't think the pears are all that great around here. Maybe I'm biased because I grew up with a pear tree in my backyard that produced amazing fruit. I have trouble getting pears ripe around here. I use the website wholesomebabyfood.com as a great reference tool.

You will also see my Magic Bullet in the photo. Basically it is a blender that pulses at high speeds. It purees great. I'm trying to make Morgan's foods chunkier now as she needs to progress towards table foods. She gagged a little on my carrots, but she did that with peas and bananas at first and is now fine with them. We also tried some whole milk yogurt this week. A little tart on it's own, it was a bigger hit when I added applesauce. She also has learned to feed herself "puffs" all by herself. These are fruit and veggie flavored rice puffs that melt in the mouth and get them more used to eating items like bread and crackers. It is fun to watch her pick up the puffs and attempt to get them in her mouth. Sometimes she makes it and sometimes it ends up on the floor or in her high chair. We've only had one gagging/vomit incident when she put one too many at a time in her mouth. I think she learned her lesson.

No comments: