Friday, March 4, 2011

Piper's 18 Month Dr. Appointment

Can you believe she's already 18 months old?! I can't. She's getting so big...I keep telling her to slow down, but as usual, she doesn't listen to me. :-)

Piper had her 18 month well baby appointment this morning. She was such a trooper and did so well when the Dr. listened to her heart and lungs. She didn't like it when we made her lie down on the exam table, but really she did so much better than I thought she would. Here are her stats:

Height: 32 inches (59%)
Weight: 25.5 lbs (67-68%)
Head Circ: 18.5 inches (63%)

The Dr. asked me a bunch of developmental questions, is she using a fork and spoon (yes), is she saying 10 or more words (yes), is she eating well, fruits, veggies, meats (yes).

I think the Dr. would have been fine with everything...but I brought up a topic that had been bugging me. Though Piper is doing well with her words, and has many more than Morgan did at this point...she doesn't call David and I "Mama" and "Daddy." She will point at pictures of David and say "Dada" and a few times I've sworn she's said "Bye Dada" when he leaves the house...but never Mama. When she first started saying words (12-15 months) sometimes she'd lay her head on my shoulder and say "mamamamamama." So, it's not like she can't say it. When I asked her to "say Mama" today she pointed at me and touched me. When David says "where's Mama!" she looks right at me. She just doesn't call me Mama, nor does she try to say Morgan's name. The Dr. tried to reassure me and say that if Piper had been my first child he would not have seen any issues, but our experience with Morgan makes us blow little things out of proportion. He thinks that since she has such a healthy amount of words overall that she catch on to our names soon. He did admit it was odd though... and I can't get that out of my head.

Why does there always have to be something? I'd just starting to think we were "in the clear" on her with the autism issue. I still hope that's the case, but things like this make me nervous.

No comments: