Monday, June 21, 2010

Nursing Update

I suddenly realized I have not updated on the "nursing" situation for a while. I hope this doesn't make anyone uncomfortable, but for me it's a nice way to document this as Piper gets older. It will be nice for both Piper and Morgan to be able to look back on posts from their early days and see just what was going on.

Amazingly, I'm still nursing!! Piper is a week away from ten months and I'm still nursing her about four times a day. It's become SO much easier now that she's eating solid food. That has helped supplement her calories, so she also no longer needs as much formula supplement. She's been averaging about 10 ounces a day, but mostly less than that. So...I'm guessing that she's getting maybe the same amount from me. I know it's not a lot, but apparently it's really still so beneficial for her to get all the healthy antibodies she can get from me. I may try to reduce the feedings gradually to two or three a day. I tried dropping the one before her nap a few weeks ago and encountered quite a bit of protest. I think I'll try again soon though.

She still really seems to enjoy nursing, but she's getting really "pinchy" lately, especially on my arms. While nursing, she reaches right over and grabs a piece of skin in the inside of my upper arm with her index finger and thumb! I know it's great for her to build her strength in that "pincer grasp," but OUCH! I'd rather it be on her finger foods and not me. Oh ,and one of her upper front teeth finally busted through the gums today. That was a long time coming! We'll see that affects things, but so far so good.

The plan is still to nurse through a year (as long as there is no major biting or other issues that mess with things), and then see how I feel. As I am still taking domperidone four times a day, so I am now looking forward to the day that I don't have to wake up at 1:00 AM to take pills. For now I am enjoying the (non pinching) cuddle time I get with my girl and see what happens.

No comments: