Saturday, November 7, 2009

Bedtime Bonus

Success!! We made a few key changes yesterday in our house and our routine that made a HUGE difference. Since all of our visitors have left for now (until Aunt Ali comes for Morgan's birthday)...we decided it was time for Piper to move to the guest room. We rearranged the furniture and moved in the bassinet and glider. I was a little nervous about her being "on her own," but we moved Morgan even earlier (at 6 weeks) and she did just fine. We found that we slept much better with her in a different room, so we figured the same thing would happen with Piper.

I also decided to try out a new bedtime routine. Piper has been going to bed pretty late still, around 9:30-9:45 pm. She still seemed so tired to me. I'm thinking a lot of her evening fussiness is her trying to tell us she just wants to go to sleep. Sooo...

...we started BOTH kids' "bedtime routines" at 7:15. David bathed Morgan and I bathed Piper in separate bathrooms. We read a story together and said prayers. We said our goodnights to Morgan then David fed Piper her bedtime bottle...then I nursed her to sleep. She was asleep and in her bed by 8:40 pm!! This was the earliest my far that she has fallen asleep. Then she slept until 3:30 am...7 hours!! Good Girl. Then I nursed her and she slept until 8:30 am. She seems so much happier today with long times of just hanging out between feedings.

AND, I feel like I got a little of my own time back. When Piper was asleep I was able to do a few chores and read a little in bed before turning the light out at 10:00 pm. I didn't sleep so well, since I kept wondering if Piper was going to wake up at an odd time. That was to be expected. Just give me a few more nights of consistent baby sleeping and I will be sleeping much more soundly myself. We'll be keeping this schedule for a while. Eventually she may need to go to sleep even earlier, but this is a great routine for now.

No comments: